459 Third Street Lake Oswego, OR 97034
Lake Oswego has a long and rich history.
Clackamas Indians were here long before the first European explorers arrived. They were followed by an influx of settlers who arrived via the Oregon Trail. Among them was Albert Alonzo Durham who founded the town of Oswego in 1847. He named the town after his home of Oswego, New York and established a saw mill which was Lake Oswego's first, albeit short-lived industry.
The area known as Old Town in Lake Oswego is the where our community was born. Old Town was platted in 1851 by Durham, and although he never registered the plat, the townsite eventually grew under the guidance of John C. Trullinger, who purchased Durham's land and sawmill in 1865.
Old Town also grew with the iron industry between 1865 and 1894. The Oregon Iron Company operated from 1865 until it failed in 1876. The company employed about 80 men when the furnace was in full operation, and it built several cottages in Old Town for its workers. In 1877 two investors formed the Oswego Iron Company and sporadically operated the furnace, which produced a total of 18,500 tons of iron until financial troubles closed it in 1881.
In 1882 the company was reorganized as the Oregon Iron and Steel Company. Under Simeon Reed, the company employed approximately 300 men at one time. Business boomed in the 1890, but it was short lived as ships began dumping imported iron on the docks in Portland. The iron had served as ballast and could be sold at a relatively low price. The depression of 1893 brought about the final closure of the plant in 1894.
With the decline of the iron industry and the increased popularity of the lake as a recreation area, the residential area grew mainly to the west. The distinct boundaries of the Willamette River, the iron foundry, and the main road and commercial avenue of Oswego prevented Old Town from expanding much beyond its original borders.